Eugene is dedicated to service and social justice by providing his time, talent, and treasure as a skilled volunteer. He is available to entertain opportunities to serve on Boards, Advisory Councils, and Steering Committees.
City of West Hollywood; LA County Arts Commission;
California Arts Council; and Arts Council for Long Beach - Arts Grant Review Panels (2015-present)
- Reviewed and evaluated more than 200 proposals from nonprofit organizations for various Grants Programs supporting arts programs regionally and state-wide.
Pasadena Unified School District – Career and College Pathways in the Arts Academy Advisory Board (2015-2017)
- Public advocate of arts education in PUSD arts magnet schools.
- Consulted on arts programming for students.
- Worked with Faculty, Staff, Parents, Students to produce a Conference with masterclasses and panels.
Neighborhood Unitarian-Universalist Church – Senior Minister Search and Negotiating Committee (2013-14)
- Served on 8-member committee to recruit, interview, and hire Senior Minister.
- Served on 3-member committee to negotiate salary and contract for prospective Senior Minister.
Sierra Madre Playhouse – Member, Board of Directors (2011-12)
- Increased individual contributions 100% from $5,253 in 2010 to $12,525 in 2011
- Wrote successful grants proposals that resulted in $6,800 in first-time foundation revenue in 2012 and a first-time government grant of $10,200 for 2012-2014.
- Negotiated a first-time collaborative production agreement between two nonprofits: Sierra Madre Playhouse and Opera San Luis Obispo resulting in greater institutional profile and expanded market reach of its productions.
- Organized an Accessibility Program that successfully reached out and provided accommodations to Deaf and Blind patrons to attend live theatre performances and secured a grant to support the program, in addition to training volunteer ushers how to engage patrons with physical disabilities.
The Oliver Goodall Project (2019-20)
Led a team of volunteers to erect a monument and organize a special event to honor Lt. O. Oliver Goodall, former Tuskegee Airman, and important Altadena and Pasadena civic leader and community activist.
Built a coalition of supporters, civic leaders, and 21 organizations to raise funds and implement the project including The Rotary Club of Altadena, Altadena Heritage, Altadena Town Council, Day One, Altadena Community Garden, Pasadena Federal Credit Union, Nat’l Congress of Black Women, and many more.
Managed communications and promotional strategies that resulted in media coverage by Pasadena Now, ColoradoBlvd.net, and KCBS-TV and attendance by 973 to the special event including Congresswoman Judy Chu.